Information Specialist - Support
The Information Specialist - Support position provides assistance to personal computer users within ArcBest CorporationSM and subsidiaries, other ArcBest Technologies departments, and outside customers.
Functions of the Information Specialist - Support position include:
- Configure, install, monitor and maintain IT users' desktop/laptop/tablet/smartphone software and hardware; support mobile workforce.
- Provide consultation to IT users for all aspects of end-user computing and desktop-based software.
- Provide technical support and guidance through Tier 2.
- Responsible for documenting solutions to problems.
- Assist in testing and evaluating new operating systems (OS) and programs for the corporate environment.
- Assist in maintaining testing environment for OS patches and upgrades.
- Assist in maintaining testing and implementation of new technologies.
- Assist in system wide software and OS upgrades and conversions.
- Install and maintain anti-virus and firewall applications.
- Install and support remote access including wired/wireless router configuration, VPN, RSA SecureID, and Remote Desktop Connection.
- Assist in testing packaged software and upgrades to speed installations and to create silent, unattended installs.
- Create and maintain documentation.
- Provide occasional 24/7 on-call support for end users.
A four-year college degree in Information Systems or equivalent field is preferred, as well as at least one year of experience in a related field. Other qualifications include:
- Comprehensive knowledge of PC hardware and software, including Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Working knowledge of network technologies and troubleshooting device connectivity.
- Broad understanding of smartphones and tablets.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong customer service experience.
- Ability to quickly research, assimilate, and utilize new technology.
Each new employee is assigned a trainer. The trainer is highly knowledgeable in the applications used by a specific business segment as well as personnel that will become the Information Specialist's customers. The trainer will provide the new employee guidance and direction on any projects assigned.
Following the position of Information Specialist is that of Information Analyst which provides increased leadership and responsibilities. The next levels following that are the Senior Information Analyst, Information Consultant, and Lead Information Analyst. For those who are oriented toward application development, there are opportunities to move into the Systems Analyst or Technical Analyst position. Because of ArcBest Corporation's diversified line of business interests, there are also opportunities for advancement into other subsidiaries within the company.